An emergency meeting of the Council of the Alaigbo Development Foundation (ADF) was convened via Zoom today January 12, 2021 to discuss, among other things, reports of the recent Election of a new Executive of Ohanaeze Ndigbo held at Owerri Imo State on January 10, 2021.
The Council received a report of the ADF Working Committee on the critical developments before and during the purported Election held at Owerri, Imo State, and decided as follows-
To reject, in its entirety, the outcome of the Elections and refuse to recognize anyone elected in and through the purported Owerri Ohanaeze Election.
The Council states unequivocally that it did not authorize anyone to participate in the conduct of the Owerri election. If anyone associated with the ADF did participate in the conduct of the election, he did so on his own personal accord or as a representative of another organization.
The grounds of the rejection of the Ohanaeze election are based on the following –
- The entire preparations and conduct of the election breached the Constitution of Ohanaeze.
- They exhibited arrogant impunity and inordinate desire to foist a pre-determined list of officers and leaders of the Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
- Reports from the field of the election confirmed the corrupt nature of the elections involving bribery and brazen manipulation of the outcome.
- In addition, the venue of the election was flooded with the intimidating presence of Federal Security forces including soldiers and police.
- Reports from various Igbo Communities both at home and in the Diaspora since January 10, show that majority of Ndigbo are in a virtual state of morning over this latest arrogant show to the entire world that the Igbo nation is indeed a conquered territory.
The ADF Council congratulates all those individuals and groups that have condemned the Owerri show of shame in the name of Ohanaeze Elections. In particular, the ADF Council expresses appreciation for the bold stand of a group of several members of Ime Obi Ohanaeze, the Global Igbo Leaders, the World Igbo Congress (WIC), the Igbo World Assembly (IWA), the Igbo Women Assembly (IWA), Igbo Leaders of Thought (ILT), the leadership of Nzuko Umunna, several leaders of the Anioma and Rivers Communities. etc.
The ADF calls on the Igbo Nation not to allow the unfortunate incidents surrounding the botched Ohanaeze Election to dampen their spirit of resistance against the present siege on Igboland and the entire Igbo nation.
We further call on Igbo women to rekindle their spirit of resistance in like manner that helped to destroy the fabric of the colonial apparatus.
In the same way we urge our community leaders to ensure the emergence of Town Unions as truly instruments of development and avoid being seen as a bode of opportunists always leaking the booth of self-serving politicians.
Dear Compatriots, it is obvious that what happened in Owerri on January 10th, 2021, in the name of Ohanaeze Election is the final death nail on the coffin of Ohanaeze under the regime of Chief Nnia Nwodo. In other words what has been handed over to Prof George Obiozor is just a carcass in the guise of Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
If they persist on sustaining this dead Ohanaeze as Igbo Socio-cultural Organisation, then ADF shall before the end of January 2021 and in conjunction with other patriotic Igbo organizations and leaders of Ndigbo proceed to search for and put in place an alternative Pan-Igbo Socio-Cultural organization that will stand for and protect the interest of Ndigbo and the entire Igbo Nation.
PROF. UZODINMA NWALA PROF ELOCHUKWU AMUCHEAZI
ADF President ADF Vice President
BISHOP OBI UDEZUE ONUBOGU HON ABIA ONYIKE
Chairman ADF BoT Chairman, ADF Publicity Bureau
My views on the Era of Chief John Nnia Nwodo Jr as President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo
“Any discerning person who is a keen participant in the Igbo Affairs and who followed the election, performance, politics and eloquence of Chief John Nnia Nwodo Jr. will attest that he is a true son of late Chief John Nwodo Sr.
After congratulating him following his election, I urged him to summon a meeting of the Ime Obi so that we set Agenda for his Executive, he said to me
“Prof that body is full of agents. I shall sanitize it before I summon it”
Incidentally that was the main organ of Ohanaeze that elected him. And throughout his three or four-year period as President General of Ohanaeze, he barely summoned a meeting of Ime Obi Ohanaeze.
In his undiplomatic altercations with IPOB, he told the world on the floor of the Anambra House of Assembly that he would sabotage any war of Igbo liberation.
The world knows about who and who were the first to congratulate Chief Nwodo after his election; an election that was heralded by the majestic visit of the Sultan of Sokoto to Enugu state.
He has fought every pan-Igbo organization. He looks in the direction of the Alaigbo Development Foundation (ADF) when ever his regime is in trouble suffering from lack of funds or legitimacy. Once we bail him out he continues his blackmail of ADF.
He told Ndigbo that has over 20 policemen and security personnel guarding his house in Ukehe. He did not say how many he has in his Enugu Residence or who pays for their upkeep.
The era of Chief John Nnia Nwodo Jr as President of Ohanaeze is a Subject for research on how to convert the socio-Cultural soul of a Nation into an instrument of its self-liquidation!
Under his regime Ohanaeze Ndigbo has split into several factions. Chief John Nnia Nwodo’s soul-mates in the leadership of Ohaneze Ndigbo are the OJI AKPA ELI OZUs in ALAIGBO.
Chief John Nnia Nwodo’s era as the President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo has decreed a tragic NUNC DIMITIES for Ohaneze Ndigbo.
I firmly believe that from the ashes of Chief John Nnia Nwodo’s regime as PG of Ohaneze Ndigbo shall rise a solid pan-Igbo socio-cultural Organization that shall continue to serve as a dynamic moral force in the Igbo struggle.
On the Aborted Attempt to set up the Electoral Committee for the 2021 Ohanaeze Elections.
On the 6th of December, a meeting was convened at the Nike Lake Resort by the outgoing Ohanaeze Executive. As it turned out, the main item on the Agenda of the meeting was the forthcoming January 2021 Election of a new Ohanaeze Executive.
Although I came a bit late to the meeting, however, I asked and throughout the duration of the meeting, there was no reference to the genocide going on in Oyigbo (Obigbo) in Rivers State where hundreds of our kits-and-kin are being gruesomely slaughtered with reckless abandon.
There was not even ‘a minute silence’ in memory of the dead as has become our custom and as observed throughout all civilized communities in the world. What echoed from the leadership was justification of the murder of those innocent victims.
With particular reference to the alleged meeting of Ime Obi Ohanaeze, it turned out that –
- What was summoned and what met was not IME OBI Ohanaeze Ndigbo. At best, it could be called a quasi assemblage of some members of the General Assembly of Ohanaeze.
- Senator Chris Ngige eloquently made this observation, and although his observation was widely supported, his views were ignored. Another former Governor made a related observation, but all were ignored and suppressed by the Chairman.
- The implication of this is that NO MEETING OF IME OBI OHANAEZE has taken place with respect to setting up the machinery for the election of a new Ohanaeze Executive.
- On the list read out by Chief Nwodo as members of his Electoral Committee, no consultations were made with the respective States and Bodies/Organizations whose so-called representatives were announced by him.
- Most of us are familiar with the tradition of getting representatives of various States/0rganisations into any Committee of Ime Obi Ohanaeze. And what is that tradition?
“In a properly constituted Ime Obi Ohanaeze, once we get to the point of appointing, for example, the Electoral Committee, States/Organizations are requested to stand aside to nominate their representatives and return the list to the Secretary of Ime Obi Ohanaeze. After which the names of nominees are collated and announced”.Our experience is that such a process has always ended amicably and the various States/Organizations have always returned their nominees without any internal rancor.
- Indeed those who try to introduce controversy into the election of the next Ohanaeze Executive are not fair to Ndigbo, especially at this time when our people are facing the worst threat to their existence as a nation.
- We, in the Alaigbo Development Foundation (ADF), urge Chief Nnia Nwodo and his team not to plung Ndigbo into unnecessary internal rancor at this time. Any attempt to impose any person on Ndigbo in the name of Ohanaeze leadership at this period shall be stoutly resisted by our people and our Gods including our Supreme Chukwu Okike.
We, therefore, urge Chief Nwodo and his team to urgently convene a properly constituted Ime Obi Ohanaeze so that a legitimate Electoral Committee shall be set up to organize the Ohanaeze Election in January according to the Ohanaeze Constitution.
It is important to advise that the mood of Ndigbo at the present moment will not accept any attempt to impose any candidate on them. Anyone involved in such an attempt should think again as such a gamble and act of desperation and treachery shall be resisted vehemently by the people.
Prof. UZODINMA NWALA