An emergency meeting of the Council of the Alaigbo Development Foundation (ADF) was convened via Zoom today January 12, 2021 to discuss, among other things, reports of the recent Election of a new Executive of Ohanaeze Ndigbo held at Owerri Imo State on January 10, 2021.
The Council received a report of the ADF Working Committee on the critical developments before and during the purported Election held at Owerri, Imo State, and decided as follows-
To reject, in its entirety, the outcome of the Elections and refuse to recognize anyone elected in and through the purported Owerri Ohanaeze Election.
The Council states unequivocally that it did not authorize anyone to participate in the conduct of the Owerri election. If anyone associated with the ADF did participate in the conduct of the election, he did so on his own personal accord or as a representative of another organization.
The grounds of the rejection of the Ohanaeze election are based on the following –
- The entire preparations and conduct of the election breached the Constitution of Ohanaeze.
- They exhibited arrogant impunity and inordinate desire to foist a pre-determined list of officers and leaders of the Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
- Reports from the field of the election confirmed the corrupt nature of the elections involving bribery and brazen manipulation of the outcome.
- In addition, the venue of the election was flooded with the intimidating presence of Federal Security forces including soldiers and police.
- Reports from various Igbo Communities both at home and in the Diaspora since January 10, show that majority of Ndigbo are in a virtual state of morning over this latest arrogant show to the entire world that the Igbo nation is indeed a conquered territory.
The ADF Council congratulates all those individuals and groups that have condemned the Owerri show of shame in the name of Ohanaeze Elections. In particular, the ADF Council expresses appreciation for the bold stand of a group of several members of Ime Obi Ohanaeze, the Global Igbo Leaders, the World Igbo Congress (WIC), the Igbo World Assembly (IWA), the Igbo Women Assembly (IWA), Igbo Leaders of Thought (ILT), the leadership of Nzuko Umunna, several leaders of the Anioma and Rivers Communities. etc.
The ADF calls on the Igbo Nation not to allow the unfortunate incidents surrounding the botched Ohanaeze Election to dampen their spirit of resistance against the present siege on Igboland and the entire Igbo nation.
We further call on Igbo women to rekindle their spirit of resistance in like manner that helped to destroy the fabric of the colonial apparatus.
In the same way we urge our community leaders to ensure the emergence of Town Unions as truly instruments of development and avoid being seen as a bode of opportunists always leaking the booth of self-serving politicians.
Dear Compatriots, it is obvious that what happened in Owerri on January 10th, 2021, in the name of Ohanaeze Election is the final death nail on the coffin of Ohanaeze under the regime of Chief Nnia Nwodo. In other words what has been handed over to Prof George Obiozor is just a carcass in the guise of Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
If they persist on sustaining this dead Ohanaeze as Igbo Socio-cultural Organisation, then ADF shall before the end of January 2021 and in conjunction with other patriotic Igbo organizations and leaders of Ndigbo proceed to search for and put in place an alternative Pan-Igbo Socio-Cultural organization that will stand for and protect the interest of Ndigbo and the entire Igbo Nation.
PROF. UZODINMA NWALA PROF ELOCHUKWU AMUCHEAZI
ADF President ADF Vice President
BISHOP OBI UDEZUE ONUBOGU HON ABIA ONYIKE
Chairman ADF BoT Chairman, ADF Publicity Bureau